Minutes – 22 October 2008

North Kelvin Community Council Minutes

Wednesday 22 October 2008 at 6.30pm

St. Charles School

Present: Mark Adams (MA) (Chair); Janet Andrews (JA); Dave Beavan (DB) (Website & Library); Peter Blackshaw (PB) (Secretary); Eddie Devlin (ED); Kevin Edgar (KE) (Treasurer); Dorothy Gow (DG); Kirsty Davidson (KD) (Minute Secretary)

In Attendance: PC Gerard Christie (GC)

Apologies: Liz Edgar (LE); Susie Hallas (SH); Councillor Jim MacKechnie (JM); PC Johnathan Rowell (JR); Councillor Kieran Wild (KW)

Welcome

MA welcomed everyone to the meeting and also welcomed GC, our new Community Police Officer.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved by ED and seconded by JA.

JA said that a notice had appeared in her close about refuse collection and said that this was a positive response to her comment at the last meeting.

Police Report

The police boundaries are changing. We will come under the larger area known as the “Maryhill Corridor”. GC is one of four officers covering this area.

GC reported that thefts are high in our area, mainly of bicycles from common closes. He suggested it might be worthwhile doing another leaflet drop, to encourage people not to leave bicycles, even if locked, in common closes.

GC provided the crime figures for the period from 9 September to date. There were a total of 88 crimes, those detected featured – 18 public disorder offences, 3 drug offences, 4 assaults, 1 robbery, 6 road traffic offences, 2 house break-ins and 1 case of fly posting. Not detected were – 32 thefts, 5 robberies/assaults and 12 cases of vandalism.

Report on S.H.I.P

PB attended an event on 19 September to hear an update on the 10 year Strategic Housing Investment Plan (S.H.I.P), which is currently halfway through. PB said that 4,000 new homes have already been built, with 1,000 more planned for the East End. However, as a result of the credit-crunch housing contracts are being cancelled.

PB noted that there was very little discussion relevant to our location.

Report on Canal Area Committee

ED reported that he had attended his first Canal Area Committee meeting. The Committee is still getting up and running, so its aims are not particularly well define at this time. The next meeting is taking place on 11 November and will discuss lighting and turnover of Police.

Treasurer’s Report

KE said that he has still not received any of the outstanding invoices.

KE reported that he had applied for next year’s area budget, but said that we probably would not receive any funds, as we still have money in the bank.

KE said that there is no quick way to transfer our bank account. We have to open a new account with Abbey and once this has been done we can write a cheque to empty the old account and close it down.

It was agreed that KE, ED and PB would go down and open the new account with Abbey.

Action: KE to get a new bank account form from Abbey.

MA said that we should start to spend funds. It was agreed that we should get posters designed and printed to advertise the Community Council.

Action: PB to put marketing on the agenda for the next meeting.

JA asked whether there was a list of dates and places of where/when community councils meet. DB mentioned that when Alex Hewetson (AH) attended the May meeting he had mentioned that community councils would be able to have websites via a portal at GCC.

Action: DB agreed to contact AH and get an update on the portal.

Information – website

DB reported that there were 452 page views in September, which is comparable with last month’s figures. The news and previous minutes are the most looked at sections. DB said that people are also finding the website from searches relating to recent events e.g. the Wilton Street tenement collapse and the Oban Drive development.

Communications and correspondence

PB reported that the Community Council had been invited to the opening ceremony of the Ruchill Park Play Area on Friday 24 October. PB agreed to attend on behalf of the Community Council.

PB said that the Children’s Panel Advisory Committee is looking for 150 new members.

Action: DB to add this information to the website.

PB said that Bob Doris MSP had written a letter in response to an action in last month’s minutes with regard to the Tesco development on Maryhill Road. Work will commence in the New Year and 160 new jobs will be created when the store reopens.

Action: DB to add this information to the website.

DG said that River Watch needs new members. She also showed us a river safety poster that they had designed.

Action: DG to shrink the safety poster down to A4 and email it to DB. DB to put the safety poster and request for new members onto the website.

AOCB

It was agreed that Douglas Peacock (DP) should be invited to the next meeting to discuss the Clouston Street development.

Action: JA to invite DP to the next meeting and PB to add this to the agenda.

MA reported that North Glasgow Football Development Group (NGFDG) had been awarded the Quality Mark award for Scottish Community Football Clubs.

Action: DB to add this information to the website.

Next meeting – 19 November @ 6.30pm, St. Charles School

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *