Recycle for Glasgow
Click the pic to download the leaflet if you live in a tenement or flat.
If you get a kerbside collection, download this leaflet instead.
Further info is also available on the City Council website or call 0141 287 9700.
Find out about collection days for kerbside and tenement collections.
For hazardous waste disposal, see glasgow.gov.uk/hazardouswaste.
What you can recycle
By making full use of your blue bin you can help Glasgow recycle more and send less waste to landfill.
✓ Do use your blue bin for
- Paper ✓
- Cardboard ✓
- Tins ✓
- Cans ✓
- Plastic bottles ✓
✘ Do not use your blue bin for
- General waste ✘
- Glass ✘
- Food waste ✘
Using your blue bin
- Collect and sort your items for recycling
- Rinse your tins, cans and plastic bottles – please remove lids
- Flatten your cardboard and plastic bottles
- Place your paper, cardboard, tins, cans and plastic bottles into your blue bin
- If you live in a tenement the Council will collect your blue bin (check the calendar here) and return it to the storage area after emptying
✓ All paper, newspapers, magazines and envelopes
✘ Padded envelopes
✘ Kitchen roll
✓ All cardboard, boxes and corrugated card
✘ Food and drinks cartons
✓ Plastic bottles and cleaning sprays
✘ Pots, tubs, trays or lids
✘ Plastic bags
✘ Garden chemical bottles
Tins and Cans
✓ Tins and cans
✓ Empty aerosols
✘ Paint tins
There are over 450 recycling points across Glasgow where you can recycle all your glass bottles and jars. To find out where your nearest glass recycling point is please visit glasgow.gov.uk/recycling or use the map.
- Remove lids and give your bottles and jars a quick rinse
- Take your glass bottles and jars to your nearest recycling point
You can recycle all glass bottles and jars.
- Lids or bottle tops ✘
- Light bulbs ✘
- Drinking glasses ✘
- Cups or plates ✘
- Pyrex ✘
- Window glass ✘
There are grey on-street bins at:
- Queen Margaret Drive at Hotspur Street
- Kirklee Road at Kirklee Bridge
- Clouston Court
- Queen Margaret Court
Check the City Council map for details.
Don’t leave food waste beside the bin if it is full. This will encourage rats and other pests. You can report bins needing emptied using the MyGlasgow app.
Frequently asked questions
|Q Do I need to put my bins out to get emptied?
|Q What happens to the items I recycle in my blue bin?
|Q What can I do with unwanted items in good condition?