Consultation on the future of the West End Campus of Glasgow Kelvin College
Glasgow Kelvin College is holding two engagement events to discuss the future of its West End campus.
- one in-person event on 8th February 2023 at 6pm in the West End Campus building in Hotspur Street, and
- another alternative event online via Microsoft Teams on 9th February 2023 at 4pm.
Click on the links to book via Eventbrite:
The message below explaining the background is from Glasgow Kelvin College.
Glasgow Kelvin College is reviewing its curriculum offer to ensure we continue to make available the highest quality of learning and teaching to our students. For our 2023-24 curriculum, we are seeking to consolidate our delivery across our three North East Campuses and vacate our small West End Campus.
Why relocate from our West End Campus?
- Due to our latest delivery and working practices, we now have capacity to locate all of our curriculum within our three larger campuses in Springburn, East End and Easterhouse.
- The College’s community boundary in the west of the city overlaps that of Glasgow Clyde College and our West End Campus delivery replicates much of the curriculum offered at Clyde College’s nearby Anniesland Campus.
- Our West End Campus accommodates approximately 3% of our overall student activity and therefore closure of this campus will not significantly alter our overall offer to learners.
- Only 5% of students studying at West End Campus reside in the Maryhill/Hillhead catchment area so there would be minimal local impact.
What would the impact be?
- This means that the College wouldn’t be offering any College services from the West End Campus. However, all of the curriculum delivery located there would be transferred to our existing campuses and there would be no reduction in the volume of learning opportunities available to students as a consequence of this move.
- Consolidating our curriculum in fewer sites will ensure best use of public monies by addressing any duplication of learning resources.
- This change will reduce the overall operating costs of the College and help to consolidate its offer and achieve the economies of scale realised at other campuses.
What are we asking from our Stakeholders?
We are examining the options for the future of West End Campus and, as a valued community stakeholder who may have an interest in this matter, we are keen to engage with you to hear your views.